Book Review: Children in Exile

One thing I can say, after finishing Vincent Sale's book (Children in Exile), was that his stories lacked the forceful resolutions in the end. I guess I wanted endings that have more impact. But overall, the book is good. I could see where he got some of his ideas and inspirations from. He used a lot of local folk myths and urban legends to color his stories. However these myths played only a secondary role since all his stories are character driven.

Most writers now use the first person point of view in writing their works. I use it because it is easier to express myself through one person and it is simplier to have the story written in the perspective of one person. The downside to that is I tend to simply the characterization of other characters. Most of my other characters become underdeveloped or rigid stereotypes (lacking in personality or depth). Plus I notice that I tend to assign some of my personal traits to my first person characters. The story becomes biographical in a way or more of a non-fiction narrative.

I remember Charles Newman violently criticizing the writers today for their blatant abuse of the first person point of view. He said that writers should try to go beyond the limits of the first person narrative and try the third person angle. It is more of a challenge but it can improve the way one writes.

No comments: