Bad Driving Habits

I have been driving for over fifteen years now and I believe that the driving skills/etiquette of Filipino drivers have degraded a lot. Drivers have no respect for pedestrians and other drivers. Drivers of public vehicles don't practice safety driving. And traffic enforcers are lax in apprehending traffic violators.

I admit that I have acquired a lot of bad driving habits as well. It probably came from a need cope with the traffic conditions, the uneven roads and also from the other rude drivers. One of this bad habit is the use of my cellular phone on the road. Sometimes I text people, make/answer calls and even take pictures (if I am bored in traffic). Aside from that, I also do other things in the car to pass the time (specially in congested areas) --- like reading a book/magazine and eating. People like me have to find some kind of distraction or entertainment while on the road.

Now that I admit to having such bad habits, I should make a commitment to change these behaviors. But then it would be difficult to sit inside the car and do nothing but fidget and wait. I think that a person's driving etiquette is influenced by the kind of environment where he or she is driving. I'm sure a lot of foreigners and balikbayans are appalled by the way we drive around the city -- but for us, it is a normal way of life.

No comments: