So we got stuck with this yaya who seems to have the highest credentials in taking care of children. Jen and I considered Chuchay (not her real name) a blessing at first, knowing that Aaron is in the hands of a real professional. And her services were FREE, thanks to our godmother who volunteered to shoulder Chuchay's 6.5k monthly salary for six months!
But eventually we realized, even free things come with a price…
"Laying down the house rules"
The first day Chuchay entered our small house, she began to make comments about our room and how dirty it was for raising a baby. She warned Jenny that our bedroom (where we sleep with the baby) was filled with dust and dirt. Chuchay told us that we should change our bedsheets, pillows, and blankets EVERY DAY.
She wore her white yaya uniform with pride, looking clean and immaculate, while the three of us wore normal house clothes.
Chuchay didn't like the idea of having Aaron sleep with his parents on the same bed. It's too dangerous and too dirty. She must have the impression that we're idiots who'd squash our baby while sleeping.
"Alam mo sa dati kong amo, may sariling kwarto yung baby. Doon rin ako natutulog." (You know, my former employer's baby has his own room. I also sleep there.) Chuchay loved to tell stories about her former rich employers. How she and the baby enjoyed the luxuries and comforts of wealthy parents.
"Yung dati kong mga amo, hinahayaan lang ako at yung baby. Sa gabi lang nga sila bumibista sa amin, pagkatapos magtrabaho." (My former employers leave me in charge of the baby. They only visit us at night, when they come home from work.) Jen had the feeling that Chuchay was trying to imply that we should leave her with Aaron, and that she hates being watched over (or is it "micro-managed") by Jenny.
Chuchay made it clear that she was the foremost expert in baby care. She would push away Jenny or my suggestions, saying that her way was the best. Chuchay would insist on washing Aaron's clothes using a certain (expensive) soap, or have Aaron drink orange juice (even though he was just two months old). She also insisted in carrying the baby all day, hoping that Aaron would prefer her caring embrace over Jen or mine.
"Chuchay a.k.a Gossip Girl"
The only consolation Chuchay got from our household was the company of other house helps. She immediately bonded with the other female helpers. I guess this was one of the reasons why she stayed with our family.
And whenever Jen would give her the afternoon off to sleep (she takes the nigh shift watching over Aaron). She'd spend the time trading "tsimis" and gossip with the other helpers.
Chuchay would proudly brag her exploits to our house help (and my parents). She would talk about her life as a yaya in Hong Kong and in the Middle East. "Eto yung alaga kong baby sa Lebanon," (Here is the baby I was caring for in Lebanon) Chuchay would say as she showed a picture of an innocent baby on her Motorola celphone. "Maganda siya diba? Pero papangit yan pag matanda na… ganun naman yung mga Arabo."
By the end of the first month, she knew about Jen and my family's entire history. Whatever she would bluntly ask questions without shame, as if she deserves to know everything.
"How much is Allan earning in his job?"
"Why is Lolo and Lola (my parents) like this or that?"
"Why is Lola running the business this way? If I had money I would do this and that…."
"I heard Allan's uncle owns this property (where we live) and that… Does Lolo and Lola own other houses?"
"Love ko si Aaron"
Despite all of Chuchay's shortcomings, Jen and I decided to keep her. She loves Aaron and it shows on the small things. Chuchay would stay up all night (and day) watching over him while Jen and I sleep.
As soon as Aaron recovered from his colds, we discovered that he was one of those high maintenance babies. Aaron would wake up every hour to drink milk and he is also a light sleeper (the faintest sound would startle him).
Chuchay took her babysitting job as a serious and dedicated professional, wanting only the best for the baby (and also for her).
Whenever she and Jen would get into an argument, Chuchay would always say that the only reason she's staying is because of the baby. "Na-aawa lang ako kay Aaron. Kawawa siya pag wala na ako."
I guess one reason why I let her get away with these things is because I wanted to have someone help Jen. Since Chuchay was working for free, we might as well make the best use of her. Thanks to Chuchay, Jen and I were sleeping soundly at night (as opposed to most parents of newborns who suffer through sleepless nights for the first several months).
But eventually we had to deal with Chuchay's other eccentric and totally nasty temprament.
(To be continued)
No comments:
Post a Comment