DSL Issues and Temptations

My friend and I were comparing the DSL services in our homes. The two of us are currently subscribing in the same DSL company. He seemed happy with the speed and the quality of their internet connection at home. I kept complaining how the connection keeps breaking every twenty to thirty minutes.

I was surprised when I learned that we were paying the same rate (999 pesos a month), yet he was getting 2MBS (while I was receiving less than 1MB). So he then told me his secret.

Apparently he 'bribed' the service crew who installed the DSL wiring on his house. He paid the guy five hundred pesos to 'upgrade' his connection to 2MBS while paying the lowest rate. It's all in the server setting configuration and the DSL company would never find out anyway.

He then suggested that I call one of the service crew to check on my connection and then pay the guy five hundred bucks for the "upgrade". It sounds very tempting because I am rather annoyed at the slow (hanging) connection. This would be my payback to the DSL company for their lousy service.

There's this part of me that makes me feel guilty for stealing something that I didn't pay for. I know a lot of households have illegal connections. It would still be wrong for me to do it.

Right now I'm still deciding what option to take.

No comments: