Urban farming in the city

Got some space in your backyard or window? Why not turn it into a small vegetable garden? Urban farming sounds like a good alternative to buying expensive vegetables in the market, and it is eco-friendly.

It would be great to grow my own food. I know my parents have started their own malunggay, papaya, and ampalaya plants in the backyard. Unfortunately the harvest isn't that great. The house help says that our soil is not that good for cultivating plants. We also have some wild aloe vera, oregano, and onions in our yard. Unfortunately, the leaves of these plants are prone to attacks from ants, worms, and other pests.



I found this Reuters video and it talks about the potential for urban farming here in Manila. Watching this short clip shows that people can live off the land, if they choose to. It also reminds me that our country is really fit for agricultural development and we should take advantage of this valuable resource.

Maybe if I have the time, I'd try to learn some basic farming/gardening. Such a skill may come in handy and it is something that is good for the environment.

1 comment:

punkrocktatay said...

I so love this idea Allan. I once read an article that in some urban areas in the U.S., the people are planting edible plants in vacant lots in the middle of the city. They call it Urban Guerilla Farming. I hope it catches fire in Manila. =) Please do share the experience of your parents with their malunggay and papaya.