Trying to Understand the Kasambahay Law

It has been some months since I last updated this blog. I've been busy with stuff from work and home -- both Ahiya and Atchie are now going to school, and Syoti is learning to stand on his own.

While we have been adjusting to the new routine of driving the kids to school and  tutoring them in the afternoons, we have also been studying the latest law concerning local household workers.

I think the Kasambahay Law sounds good in paper, but I am not sure if it can be properly implemented.  Most households I know rarely register their kasambahay in the local baranggay offices. I doubt if employers would follow the mandated practice of providing an official employment contract and monthly payslips. Although I think this would be a good time for us to start creating these documents for them. Most kasambahay I know do not possess a sense of professionalism to give their employers a five-day notice of resignation. They usually just pack up their things and leave the next day.

This year we've hired half a dozen caretakers for the kids, none of them lasted a month. I doubt if  we are expected to pay for their SSS/Pag-Ibig/Phil-health contributions. I do hope our latest caretaker will stay longer and we might be able to give her these benefits.

No comments: