After a few more months, I tried growing some garlic, ginger and potatoes. Unfortunately the potatoes died off a few weeks after they sprouted. I had better luck with the ginger and the garlic plants though.
So why the sudden interest in gardening and growing herbs? I have been reading a lot about "eating local" and the "trying to grow your own food" movement. I think this is the perfect solution to fighting global warming - not only are your growing your own edible plants, you are also reducing the amount of carbon emissions use to transport food from far away places.
Another reason would be to prepare and train myself to become a skilled gardener. I am hoping to gain enough gardening skills to be able to grow my own food in the future. I think having a garden filled with edible food like potatoes, tomatoes, and other herbs can help reduce cost of food. It is also part of my retirement plan -- to be able to cut cost and live a healthier life.

Our calamansi plant starting to bear fruits.

Lagundi leaves for coughs.

Some ginger and citrus basil.
Garlic plants.

Oregano to keep away mosquitoes.

Citrus mint for tea.
No comments:
Post a Comment