Updates on the Veggie Garden

The weather has been good to the vegetable plants in our little garden. The hot morning sun and heavy afternoon rains made the seedlings sprout faster, growing several inches over the span of a few days. The best thing is that I don't have to do any more watering since the rain is doing it for me. 

It has been almost two years since I bought my first set of seedlings. I remember purchasing one small pot of citrus mint, another pot of citrus basil, and a pot of lagundi seedlings. There was a feeling of excitement and fear when I brought the plants home. I wasn't sure if I was watering them correctly or if I was giving them too much or too little sunlight. Weeks passed and the plants survived. I decided to treat the whole garden project as an experiment, to see how long I can keep the seedlings alive and see how big I can make them grow.

From these three small pots, my plant collection grew to include two calamansi trees, four giant pots filled with ginger and tumeric shoots, several pots of basil herbs, three large cans of bell pepper plants, two peppermint pots, and one lonely cherry tomato plant. 

I did encounter some failures with growing potatoes, kamote, garlic, and onion plants. Apparently they don't do well with the soil or I have been watering them the wrong way. I am still hopeful and learning. Good thing we have Google and Youtube to help provide gardening tips and ideas.

Last August my mother-in-law gave us a set of vegetable seeds and we started planting them in small cups. A few weeks later, small seedlings started to sprout and we manage to transplant them into bigger pots. Now the seedlings have grown into young happy plants. These are the new additions to our growing urban garden:
 
Cucumber plant
 
 Guyabano seedlings

 Kalabasa (Squash)

 Radish

No comments: