Content Editing

I was recently given a project, to edit the contents of a company website.

It would have been a fairly simple work, but most of the information is either incorrect, vague, or simply outdated.

The original writer of the site failed to address the actual purpose of the page. Was it made for marketing purposes? Is it for investors? For job seekers?

Judging from the site's content, I'm guessing that the original writer was either a technical programmer or a high level manager who took on the task of creating the website. The content was too repetitive, technical and often times boring.

It would have been easier if I knew the target audience. Unfortunately, that information was not given to me. So I did was I was assigned to do -- improve on the sentences, make them easier to read and understand.

Another thing I found humorous was the site's marketing tactic. I knew about the company and its day-to-day operations. The fact that much of the company's credentials and accomplishments have been hyped up -- with people becoming managers and corporate officers in their twenties, imaginary teams of competent professionals delivery top-notch services, and so on.

In the end, I became a skeptical of the company's claims to success. But I guess this is part of image building and marketing. This project only reaffirmed the fact that some of the stuff you read online can be misleading and deceiving at times.

It is easy to claim a lot of accomplishments online and make people believe them. So how much of the information you read online is the truth, and how much of it is just made up?

No comments: