Disaster Preparedness

I've been keeping myself updated to the latest events happening at Japan. I am amazed at how the Japanese are coping with the crisis, trying to do everything they can to prevent a nuclear meltdown and rescue survivors in the earthquake-devastated cities.


Part of me keeps wondering how we would react and cope if such a disaster struck Manila. I remembered the events of Ondoy, how we lost people and property that time. We were able to survive and recover from the floods. Some people even got to swim in flooded underpasses,  cheer at moving vehicles that were able to cross the flooded streets, and steal from those abandoned houses.

I admit that I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of another Ondoy, an earthquake or a tsunami hitting the city, and how unprepared we are for such an event. It got me thinking about preparing ourselves for the possibility of such an event. I'm not talking about stockpiling water and food that would last for months, or buying firearms to protect yourself from looters. I'm thinking of making small emergency kits like bottled water, biscuits, first-aid medicine, flashlight, extra clothes, some cash and other stuff that can fit a small backpack. These kits could be placed in cars and strategic positions at home, just in case something bad happens and you need to get away quick.


Call me paranoid but I think it pays off to be prepared for emergencies. Some people would just put their trust on other people -- like God, the government, or other institutions, for help whenever trouble comes. I think we should help ourselves by preparing for whatever happens in the future.

No comments: