Death by Slow Radiation

Nothing much has been said about the Fukushima Daiichi tragedy. Most people have forgotten about the terrible earthquake that struck Japan last 2011, as well as the horrible tsunami that crippled the Daiichi power plant. It's like mainstream media has intentionally left out things that are happening in that area. I mean, unless you are actively looking for news about the tragedy, you would think that the nuclear meltdown has been contained and its business as usual.

Then there are news about Fukushima kids dying and the nuclear company hiring homeless men to clean up the radioactive waste that keep popping out. Shouldn't these problems be resolved by the international community, particularly those countries surrounding the Pacific ocean?




Its frustrating hear about these kind of news, knowing that such a horrible catastrophe is unfolding and people are just pretending that it never happened. My immediate concern is that the radiation might somehow make its way to the Philippines. But are there still any safe place left on the planet?

While all of these things are happening, people here are happy that Japan further relaxes visa application rules for Filipinos. I'm sure a lot more Pinoys will be visiting Japan soon. The Japanese government claims that this is way to promote tourism. I think they need additional money to help fix this growing radiation problem.

Honestly, I don't think I'd want to step foot in that country. There are reports saying that particles of the broken nuclear cores are scattered all over Tokyo. Don't get me wrong, I love Japan and Japanese culture. What I don't like is how the Japanese government is keeping silent about the whole issue, relying on an inept company to fix the problem, lying to their own people, and refusing to ask for help from other countries.

No comments: