Fool Moon (Book Review 4 out of 5)

Werewolves, FBI agents, Mobsters and Wizards. All of these make up Jim Butcher's second Dresden Files novel aptly named "Fool Moon".

Took me a couple of months to finish the book, but I finally did. It took me a while to get some momentum, I think the first few chapters were a bit slow. But once you get pass the incident with Harry meeting the FBIs and the college geeks, the story gets interesting.



The story is fairly simple. Harry Dresden tries to track down a "werewolf" serial killer who happens to strike its victims during the night of the full moon. His investigation causes him to bump heads with the local police, a group of FBI agents, some wild bikers, and Chicago's mob lord.

What I loved about the series is nature of magic and how Jim Butcher uses it minimally in the story. While Dresden is a wizard, we don't see him controlling the weather, changing lead into gold, or killing people with a few incantations. Magic supplements his investigative work, and helps protect him at times. Dresden still has to rely on his physical prowess, instincts, and luck to survive.

I think Jim Butcher has done a good job with the series. Harry Dresden is an interesting protagonist, a hero with enough angst and issues to make the readers relate to him. Butcher also successfully depicts the supernatural underworld living in Chicago, and how each magical creature would interact with its neighbors.

I also like the way each novel in the series is self-contained -- dealing with one case or work at a time. But each book has its own clues and hints as to the overall meta-plot of the story.

No comments: