Clutter

I inherited my pack rat mentality from my parents. They love to store useless stuff in the house, stuff that are useless like old clothes and old appliances. They also love to store trinkets they've acquired from trips, party souvenirs, unused Christmas gifts and all that free stuff you get from supermarket sales.

Most of my clutter right now are classified into the following categories:
  • Old books (including comics)
  • Old toys
  • Old clothes (including shoes)
  • Old electronic stuff (CD walkman)
  • Old CDs (VCDs and Audio CDs), as well as cassette tapes
Looking at this list, I could say that I can easily give away my old toys, clothes, electronic stuff and CDs. But my main clutter would be my collection of books. I don't know if I should keep them or donate them. I've finished reading around 80% and I know that some of them are those "hard-to-find" books. However, I am not sure if I should give some of them away or keep all of them. I realize maintaining a personal library requires investment in good shelves and containers. However, I don't have enough space for new shelves in my room anymore.

I should think of ways to maintain my library. But I have no idea on what to do -- like how to organize or how to keep them dust free. Maybe I'd get more free space once I clear out the other clutter in my room. That way I'd have more space for my books... but then again, I'd have the same problem of how to maintain them.

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

hay naku. i have the same problem. i already sold half of my collection last year when i ran out of space. yung mga books na hindi ko na binabasa. yun nga lang, what do i do with the books na naiwan. ang dami pa rin! :(
i placed them in plastic containers nalang and stored them in basti's room. yun nga lang, basti would need his room a year from now, so where will i put the books then?

Reina said...

That's the reason why I don't buy books anymore -- space. I realized this 20 years ago lol when our bokshelves in Baguio got filled up with books, that I had to store them in boxes (shame!). I couldn't even bring them to Manila, so now I make do with borrowing books. Too bad there aren't books for rent here. There are book rentals in Baguio so that took care of my reading needs.