Inkle Software (for Interactive Literature)

One of my friends referred me to this site, telling me that it's a new HTML5 application that enables people to write interactive stories similar to those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books.

Out of curiosity, I clicked on the site and found myself tinkering with the "inklewriter" application. This innovative tool allows people to write and publish interactive stories. The tool is also geared towards e-learning, allowing teachers to create interactive modules that allow students to make choices and learn from their inputs.

I signed up and tried making a short interactive story, much like one of those narratives with multiple alternate storyline that lead to multiple endings. The tool's GUI looks interesting but it does take some time to learn the interface and make the changes/customizations that you want. You can also upload pictures to add some flair to your interactive stories.

Personally I believe the application has potential, but there is room for development. One thing I noticed was the lack of sample stories. I wanted to read the stories of other account users but there are none available. The stories are kept private, unless you know the URL of a specific writer's masterpiece.

The site currently offers an interactive story available to Ipad users. The story is a retelling of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, written by Dave Morris. They even have a teaser advertisement out in YouTube, promoting the story and the Inkle Application.



Too bad the site is currently geared towards Ipad users. I hope they'd tap into the Android market as well. I'm sure there are a lot of writers and booklovers out there who would like to read the story in their Android phones/tablets.

No comments: