Infected with Cat Rabies?

I returned home from work to learn that my dad was in the emergency room. Jen told me that he wasn't feeling well for the past few days. Apparently our house cat scratched his foot last week and now his entire heel is swollen.

At first my dad refused to go to the hospital to have it checked. He told Jen and my mom that he had everything under control -- he has been drinking Chinese medicine (God only knows what kind of China-made pill he's been ingesting), and applying dermal antibiotics on the injury.

Jen finally reprimanded my dad and warned him that it could cause serious complications. She then "suggested" that my mom take my dad to the hospital. It was good that Jen convinced them to have the wound checked. Turns out, the wound was more serious that what it first seems. The ER doctor pumped antibiotics into my dad's system and had his heart monitored (he has heart disease).

After two or three hours, I got a call from my mom. She told me that my dad would have to be confined in the hospital for observation and care. Unfortunately, the hospital is fully booked (like a hotel during summer vacation).

Four more phone calls later, my mom informed me that she got permission from the ER doctor and my dad's heart doctor to go home for the meantime while they get a room for him.

So far it's been a waiting game... waiting for a hospital room. I think my dad is out of danger, imagine enduring the pain and swollen feet for one week and not letting anyone know of his injury?! I guess he thought that the wound would fix itself and he'd save the time, money and effort to visit the doctor. Now he's paying more for his mistake.

2 comments:

rmacapobre said...

my dad's the same way. stubborn. i wonder if all old people are like that.

aschua said...

I guess they were brought up differently. They must have high thresholds for pain. My dad could tolerate discomforts in his legs for weeks. And I can never bear such pain for a day.