Attended the announcement of Advent last week at our church. I was expecting the catechist to make the usual commentary on the birth of Christ, preparation for the holiday season, and all the religious things related to Christmas. But the sermon was about something else, something that was more important and relevant to our times.
The announcement became a talk about the family and how it is being attacked on all corners. I don't blame them for going on the defensive, since the Church as being criticized for its stand on the reproductive health bill, contraceptives, divorce, and other issues. I'm actually glad that they are discussing these matters openly with lay people.
The sermon was about the family and how the Church is fighting to protect it from being destroyed. While many people find the Catholic attitude too conservative, I understood where the Church was coming from and why she refuses to back down against these attacks.
I guess it all boils down to family. Everyone dreams of growing up or having a safe, loving family. And the Church is doing everything she can to protect the Christian family. Unfortunately, not everyone wants the "ideal family" that is being promoted by the Church. They have their own interpretation of family and blame the Church for enforcing their rigid principles on "non-believers" as well.
The sermon continued for another hour, with more discussions on family values and faith. I realized that I do love my family and that I would do anything to protect them from harm. Perhaps the sermon did strike something in me. I do have a lot of things to be grateful for and family is one of them.
1 comment:
they ought to stop imposing their values on to the rest of us.
Post a Comment