Alternative Investments

Jen will be celebrating her birthday next week and I have already bought her gift. I had a hard time deciding what to give her, since she's not that particular on things. I thought of buying her a new mobile phone, since her current Sony Ericsson unit is experiencing battery problems. But I decided to buy her something that does not depreciate and could be worn on special occasions.

It's a small 14k Italian gold necklace.

I've been reading a few money/finance blogs that talk about alternative investments. I think gold and jewelry are some things you can invest on, aside from putting money in the bank. These things do not depreciate over time and they can be traded for food during times of war (or when the local economy collapses and paper money becomes useless).

Anyway, I spent last Friday morning visiting the jewelry shops at a nearby mall. I had around 5k as my budget for Jen's gift. I wasn't planning on buying anything yet. I just wanted to look around and see what's available in the gold market. There was a shop that was selling its jewelries at 40% off. I took a look at the stuff on their display case and found a nice looking cross valued at around 10k. Apparently the store is affiliated with the SM Malls and if I buy in cash (and present my SM advantage card), I'd get another 10% discount.

So I bought the gold cross at half its original price. I think it is a wonderful gift for my wife and also a good investment. At least we'll be able to trade it for water/shelter when the Philippine government falls apart or when peak oil actually happens.

No comments: