Bikers Gone Wild

I noticed how driving in Metro Manila has become more dangerous over the years. I remember a time when private cars used to compete with jeeps and buses. Now private cars have to deal with pedicabs, FX vans, bikes and motorcycles.

What concerns me the growing apathy of drivers regarding other motorists and pedestrians in the streets. Most drivers have no sense of road courtesy and ignore road regulations.

Just a couple of days ago, me and my parents were driving along Shaw Mandaluyong. While we were in the proper lane, a couple of motorcycles zoomed pass us, narrowly squeezing through a couple of jeeps in front of us. My mom was shocked at the motorist's lack of safety.

This incident made me more observant with regards to the way motorcycle and bicycle drivers drive along the streets. Some of them would try to squeeze themselves in between vehicles, just to beat the traffic. Others would even compete with large cars and refuse the yield to the larger vehicles.

I don't know if I'm just getting paranoid after driving in the city for more than fifteen years. But at least I'm always on guard driving defensively.

No comments: